Frequently Asked Questions for New Members
FAQ maintained by sublimate.. suggestions always welcome!
Welcome to the VSG board! The veterans of this board want to share a few links with you that will answer common questions and get you started on the way! We will add and update this list frequently, so if you see this re-posted, please check it again as there may be updates.
These links represent questions we see frequently and tend to have thorough responses to answer those questions in the thread. If you read these messages, you’ll be much more knowledgeable about what you are likely to see during your VSG experience.
Veterans, if you would like to add to this list, please PM me (sublimate). Feel free to copy and paste this message elsewhere or send to others to help answer questions for new members.
VSG Diet Manuals and Pre and Post-Op Instructions
Manuals from various surgeons which include diet plans and other instructions.
- The institute for advanced bariatric surgery Manual
- NCA Surgical Weight Loss Program manual
- The Cornell Weight Loss Surgery Program: Dietary Guidelines for Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center Bariatric Surgery Program Manual
- Northwest Obesity Surgery Manual
List of things to bring to the Hospital
FREE Celebrate Bariatric Vitamin Pack!
I’ve tried these and they are very tasty, and cost you nothing but a little time to request online:
Request FREE bariatric vitamin sample pack here<
- NSV = Non-Scale Victory
- OH = Obesity Help
- YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary (your experience may be different)
- PPI = Proton Pump Inhibitor, aka Acid Pill
- WLS = Weight Loss Surgery
The inevitable 3 week stall
It is very common for people to experience a weight loss stall a 2-4 weeks after surgery. Read these messages for more discussion
Many people often need ideas and recipes for the mushy stage of their journey. These threads will give you plenty of ideas.
These threads discuss common questions about hair loss after VSG
How much weight can you lose?
Bougie Size Discussions
VSG versus RNY
Alcohol and VSG Discussions
Questions for Surgeon discussions
How much time off from work after surgery
Exercise after VSG
Discussions on loose skin and what to do about it.
If you get your jugs of protein at Vitamin Shoppe or GNC that as long as you have your receipt, they will let you exchange your open jug of nasty for something else! Here are the links to order samples. The nectar drinks are on here somewhere and they are another clear protein drink:
Samples $1.75 each
Sample all 5 flavors for only $6 shipping
Netrition Protein Sampler Pack
Includes samples of 14 different proteins, including a New Whey 42 g protein bullet and Champion Nutrition Pure Whey Stack. 17.99.
You can get a box of all 11 nectar protein flavors directly from Syntrax for $4.99 plus $5.99 for shipping. Contact Rick Davis Medical Sales Manager email@example.com ext. 803
Tons of samples of lots of different protein products
Smart Forme Early Phase Bariatric Surgery Nutrition Starter Kit
One carton each of Chocolate and Vanilla Ready-to-Drink Shakes, Chicken Bouillon Soup, Cream of Tomato Soup, Wildberry Cold Drink, Peach Mango Cold Drink, Orange Cold Drink, Hot Chocolate, Cappuccino, Chocolate Pudding/Shake, Vanilla Pudding/Shake and Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal. $19.99.
Even more information, research, etc.
- LapSF Five Year Study – presentation (requires Windows to play)
- Literature review on the sleeve – requires $$ to get the full text unfortunately
- Sleeve best for over 50 crowd
- Video of a sleeve with lots of education discussion
- Video of a sleeve that is more about the operation
- Ghrelin levels after RnY and sleeve
- Ghrelin levels after band and sleeve
- Diabetes resolution in RnY vs. Sleeve
- Comparison of band to sleeve – literature review
Some of this is outdated, but some of it is great information:
- Sleeve Guide
- Laparoscopic Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy for Morbid Obesity: a Report of a Five-Year Experience with 750 Patients
- Nutrition Guidelines for Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
Eglin surgeons use small bougies so this is just for informational purposes:
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy–influence of sleeve size and resected gastric volume.
- ASMBS: Bypass, Sleeve Top Banding for Weight Loss
- Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy: Is it a Viable Long-Term Surgical Weight Loss Option?
- 5 year post-op stats: Sleeve gastrectomy as sole and definitive bariatric procedure: 5-year results for weight loss and ghrelin.